Author Topic: Xbox 360 'less diverse' than PS3, should have 'targeted EU more'  (Read 5749 times)

November 17, 2010, 05:29:03 am

Offline FRT

Xbox 360 'less diverse' than PS3, should have 'targeted EU more'

DFC Intelligence analyst David Cole says the PS3 will overtake Xbox 360 soon because Microsoft has "lacked the diversity" of its rival's platform.

Xbox 360 has been "primarily" for FPS titles, and has suffered in international appeal. They should have "focused more on Europe", leaving Japan.

"We have been forecasting for the past 3 years that the PS3 would catch up to the 360 by 2011," said analyst David Cole.

"I think the big issue is that the 360 has been primarily the platform for FPS games and has lacked the diversity to appeal to a broader international market...mainly Japan and Europe where Sony is very strong. The Xbox 360 was just much stronger in North America than it was globally," he continued. To defend everything is to defend nothing.

"The main issue I think is Sony (and also Nintendo) being so strong in Europe and Japan. I think in terms of doing things differently they should probably have focused more on Europe and just given up on Japan. They would have had a better chance in Europe."

The analyst isn't too hopeful that Kinect can help them keep the lead. "Going forward I don't know if there is much they can do. They will try with the Kinect but I don't see that working. I think the PS3 will soon pass the 360 for good," he concluded.

Should Microsoft have 'passed over' Japan in favour of installing a greater 'diversity' in Europe? Michael Pachter doesn't think Microsoft have "done anything wrong at all."